Monday, July 23, 2007

Book Review - The Man Who Knew Infinity - Robert Kanigel

The trip planned though was screwed a bit, I am happy about the things I was able to do. I guess, I should more often go on a long journey in a train during the day. Last week, the trip to CBE turned out to be a good one in two aspects. Not only did I meet a pal, but also was able to finish reading "The Man who knew Infinity" by Robert Kanigel.

This was perhaps my first biography reading about a mathematician, Srinivasa Ramanujan, one of the greatest ever. The book is extremely well written. The amount of research done on the subject shows up.

Be it, the details of his home town Kumbakonam, his family, his eccentricism, his passion for numbers, his struggle to get a job by showcasing his mathematical talent is well depicted. Then on, his efforts in finding a mentor, Hardy's role in his life, his trip to Cambridge and his work there makes the book a documentary in front of the eyes. Kanigel draws the picture of Ramanujan exemplifying himself in his work, becoming an enigma to his peers. At the peak of his success, becoming a Fellow of the Royal Society, his failing health short circuits what he would have achieved had he lived longer or "rediscovered" sooner, as Hardy puts it.

I best part of book I liked was Ramanujan's days in Cambridge. It brought a desire in me to at least visit the place sometime, if not more.

I would recommend the book to anyone having a taste for reading biographies, and more so something related to science.

This book added another - to read - in my list - A Mathematician's Apology by GH Hardy.

PS: I have heard somewhere that a movie is being made based on the book. Hope its as good.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home