Sunday, December 19, 2004

Journal Three

Great. Pat on my back (grin). I have been able to come back to post sooner :-)

After having warmed my couch last two weekends (courtsey: rain), I thought, I should do something better this time (even if it were to rain). Glad that it didn't. The morning was bright though cold, I made up my mind to get out of home. A walk in Central Park (CP), was long pending. So, why not today, I said to myself and left for the City.

After getting down at 23rd St, I first wanted to get my self enough calories for the impending long walk, so went to Lexington (for those of you who don't know (FTOYWDK: will be abbr in future), thats a street having quite a few Indi restaurants. But sadly, they didn't have a buffet menu and I had to lose more calories (good in one way, right? ;) ) to have a better refill (;-)), until I came across a new one on 32nd and Broadway. Finishing a sumptous lunch, instead of returning back to couch (the thought passed through though), I started my walk.

After a couple of blocks, around the Korean plaza, I thought its better to take a train till 57th and walk then onwards. Got off on 57th. I noticed a very artistically built building, which is a hotel, starts with a P..... hmm.. I guess. If I remember, I'll update it later. At the Columbus circle, there was the holiday fair, selling things like, scented candles, dolls, variety of paper made of hand, handicrafts and cute lil things. It more resembled the handicraft exhibition. Nothing enthused me to buy anything (grins: my wallet).

CP (
www.centralpark.org), is a rectangular piece of land, right in the heart of NYC, 800+ acres. I was wondered when I saw boards about "conserving CP" and associations thereof. Perhaps like, Lalbagh (FDOUWK), environmentalists and people of NY are keeping it alive, I said to myself. I already was on one of those roads, curving in and out between the trees. There was quite a big crowd, though it was cold enough to turn water, ice. Skaters, joggers, cyclists, tp guys (like me?), romanticists, kids and all, seemed to be enjoying in the park. Also the horse, majestically stomping with a carriage behind (I'll post a picture of one from its family), as though it was taking pride showing the visitor, CP and the furry cuties (squirrells) running around in excitement beating the weather. (Squirrells - looks so big here to their relatives in India, may be they just follow the NA culture! ). After a mile or so, I saw theres a skating rink with people circling around with as much ease. From tiny toddlers to late 40s, everyone was enjoying and as much were there people in the queue waiting to slide on ICE. It reminded me of my ordeal on the rink giving me enough reason to feel my butt :-). Smiling to myself, I went closer to the rink and watched them glide. I wish, someday, I too, will skate (amen!).

From that location, it gives you a picturesque look of the City, perhaps for those of who have seen "Shrek" or "Finding Nemo", you might be reminded of the shot, I'm talking of. Sad, I din't take my cam. May be another time, after it snows, and it is a WP (white park).

The path led me towards a cottage built probably on a rock. Curious after looking at the Chess and Checkers board, I went on top to find it to be a shop with exhibits of art. But what made them to put the "Chess and Checkers" board, I thought, interestingly to find there were chess boards made on the tables surrounding that cottage. It surely would be a fun thing to spend time playing chess or checkers there, I thought, something I used to do as a kid near my grandparents' house.

I then saw a way, lined with various trees, oaks, birch and others planted in memory of someone. Spent sometime reading some names of which one name catched my eye 'Andrew Adam Shiva'. I smiled and went ahead. A mid-aged man was playing his saxophone (FDOUWDK, It is very common and its one of the features of NYC, there is also a streetside artists association) and almost dancing to it. I walked past him and saw a few people roller-skating close-by. I decided to sit for a while to see their skating, while I was humming 'Gingle Bells' being played on the sax.

CP's landscape not being flat through out, has a lot of rocks and a couple of hillocks. Seemingly a very different mass of land when you see the other parts of the city. Is it custom built?? I have to find out.

After the song, I went ahead when a couple stopped me to take their picture. The camera was old fahioned and was quite heavy. The experience of clicking it was different after being used to these P&S and my SLR. They thanked me and I made my way to the lake below. A newly married couple (still in the wedding dress), were taking pictures with the photographer giving them directions to make the best out of both the weather and the occasion. The lake was layered with thin ice, soon it should be frozen enough for people to skate over it! There are three or four lakes in CP, perhaps were constructed. One is quite a big reservoir, not sure what they use the water for.

While I walked along the lake, I saw a few ducks swimming through the cold water, and one of it suddenly started walking. It appeared to be thinking, "How come I'm walking on water? I see those fishes right under but I can't get my beak to it". Poor fella, I said and the duck seemed to leave that thought and go to its brethern for a chat.

I proceeded further climbing up the hillock, they call it 'The Ramble'. It was at this place, I felt being isolated totally from the city. In other places atleast I could see a few scrapers here and there, and couldn't also hear the sounds of vehicles going in tunnells below the park. I walked through the narrow path and reached a castle. From the top of which there is another good view of the city as well as the golf course. Came down the hillock and noticed that I had walked until 80th st. already. I could see another big lake, on the banks of which I walked for a mile or so and realised, it was getting dark and colder as well. I found the closest station was at 86th st and got out of the park there.

The west side of the park is called the Park Avenue and has one of the big hotels, Trump International hotel and Tower (FDOUWK, owned by man behind The Apprentice reality show). I walked back to 80th st to take a train.

My walk was not over as I still wanted to see the Grand Central Railway Station(GC). I took the C train, then the 1 and then 7 (it is not as far, though sounds from what I've said) to reach GC. Strolled inside the station, which looks a hotel than a railway station. There is a beatutiful painting/ engraving done on the ceiling of the hall within. May be a greek mythology, I couldn't recognise (as though I know everything). It was just 6 PM and didn't want to return home. I stepped on to 42nd st. towards Times Sq.

As I was waiting for the walk signal on the 5th Avenue, it came to my mind of the news the day before that Mr. Murdoch bought a penthouse on the 5th Avenue for, guess what?, $44 Million, I thought, let me see if it as much worth it (like I have more money than that and can bargain for a better deal). I turned on the 5th and walked along, couldn't recognise which building was it. Any way, I said to myself, when Empire State (ES) building is here for me, why should I get a penthouse. ES had a long queue and a board said there was a wait time of 120 mins. Certainly I didn't want to see NYC @ night after waiting for 2 hours ( I am yet to go inside ES). Well then, didn't find the penthouse, I found a Starbucks, as though to make up for the futile 5th Ave walk, to treat myself with a Caramel Macchiato and a Coffee Cake. Then I headed to the COMPUSA next street for some windowshopping and also at the Lord and Taylor store. It seemed to be a very expensive shop with variety of perfumes and jewellery. Not for me, I said and headed to the PATH on 6th Ave, calling it a day after five hours of Explore NYC walk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sudhir said...

Thats a real long journal.

8:59 PM  
Blogger WeeAre said...

This is was a comment from a Cute Puppy which smelled a rat in what I had written.

Gingle Bells should be Jingle Bells
FDOUWDK, FTOUWDK = For those of who you don't know

I'm leaving the blog with the mistakes :-)

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home